- You seem mad.
- me: Yeah, that's because I am.
- But why?
- me: Because when a man of power can post the link to a clothes hangers website after an abortion-restricting bill was passed, it's called a joke. But when a woman mentions that over 80 000 women die per year from unsafe abortions such as those performed with wire hangers, she's called a feminazi or is told that she needs to shut up and take the joke.
- me: Because there are young, pregnant girls who don't have the mental nor emotional capacity to understand their pregnancy. And those who want to keep the baby because they think it's 'like a doll', are paraded as courageous and mature while those who want access to a safe and legal abortion are told that they are murderous and childish.
- me: Because there are governments who honestly think that the foetus who is missing the majority of its brain and cannot survive outside of the womb holds a higher right to life than its mother who is dying from pregnancy complications.
- me: Because a woman had to die in Ireland from a septic pregnancy when her foetus died because aborting the already dead foetus was against the law.
- me: Because it's two thousand fucking thirteen, and women are still being treated like birthing machines rather than human beings.
"Voting is not an act of political freedom. It is an act of political conformity. Those who refuse to vote are not expressing silence. They are screaming in the politician’s ear: ‘You do not represent me. This is not a process in which my voice matters. I do not believe you.’"
Wendy McElroy (via thinksquad)